Peri-implant disease and its management & classification of periodontal and peri-implant diseases and conditions 2017
Date: 19th January 2019
Venue: Queen Mary University of London, Preston Lecture Theatre , Mile End Road, E1 4NS
Fee: £145 (early bird £125)
CPD: 6.5 Enhanced CPD
GDC Development Outcomes: – A, B, and C
- To maintain implant and periodontal health following periodontal treatment.
- To promote positive and constructive dialogue among colleagues in dental practice to provide best periodontal care.
- To update delegates knowledge on the new Periodontal Disease Classification 2018.
Objectives The speaker will:
- Discuss importance of periodontal treatment and maintenance and appreciate the evidence behind such treatments.
- Discuss in detail diagnosis of peri-implant diseases, management, and the common implant systems used in UK.
- Assess common materials and equipment used for periodontal & implant maintenance in general practice.
- Examine current periodontal and implant maintenance protocols and implement them in practice.
- Discuss the new Periodontal Disease Classification for gingival health, gingivitis, periodontitis and peri-implant disease 2018.
Anticipated Learning Outcomes Following the session, the delegates will be able to:
- Explain the objectives and management of Non-Surgical Periodontal Therapy and the importance of maintenance.
- Describe the difference between the implant systems used in dental settings.
- Define between health and disease, diagnose and treat common implant diseases in general dental practice.
- Critique the reasoning behind periodontal and implant maintenance and to formulate a suitable maintenance plan following successful treatment.
Dr Amit Patel – Periodontist/Implant Dentist (BDS MSc MClinDent FDS RCSEd MRD RCSEng) Amit graduated in Dentistry from the University of Liverpool in 1997. Following a training post in Restorative Dentistry at the Liverpool Dental School, he gained significant experience in Oral and Maxillofacial surgery through 3 prestigious hospital posts. He obtained his Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgeons at the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh in 2000. Alongside his private practice, he also works as Associate Specialist in Periodontics and Honorary Clinical Lecturer at the University of Birmingham Dental School. His special interests are dental implants, regenerative and aesthetic periodontics. Amit obtained his Masters in Clinical Periodontology and Clinical Dental Dentistry at Guy’s, Kings and St Thomas’ Dental Institute. Amit then obtained his Membership in Restorative Dentistry from the Royal College of Surgeons of England and became a registered Specialist in Periodontics. He works with several different implant systems including Biohorizons and Astra Dental Implant systems. He is also experienced in advanced surgical techniques for the treatment of Periodontal (gum) disease including sinus lift surgery, bone augmentation, the use of growth factor for bone regeneration and cosmetic root coverage surgery. Amit is dedicated to providing specialist dentistry at the highest level and to training other dental professionals and has been voted inside the top 50 most influential dentists in the UK. Amit is very well known lecturer nationally and internationally.
Mr Deepak Simkhada Deepak qualified from the University of Dundee (2007) with a BSc in Oral Health and is currently studying for an MSc in Advanced Periodontal Practice at the University of Essex. He has a special interest in managing advance periodontal problems in primary care settings through non-surgical periodontal treatments. Treating and managing periodontal patients in general dental practices has its own unique challenges. Deepak understands this from his own experience working from dental hospital to corporate and independent (both NHS and private) practices. He incorporates this into his teaching methods and explains how to manage patients better and yield successful outcome using non-surgical approach. Deepak’s lectures are very comprehensive, hands on, evidence-based and he ensures he creates open-style, fun and interactive learning environment for his delegates. He has been described as “motivational and engaging speaker”. He frequently writes for dental journals and lectures at dental events on these topics nationally and internationally. Annually he organizes volunteering trip to Nepal to promote oral and general health and to provide pain relief as well as general dental treatments.