Time: 9:30 – 16:00
Date: 2nd September 2017
CPD: 5.5 hrs
Location: Eastman Dental Hospital, 258 Gray’s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD
Refreshments and lunch included
ALL THE PROFIT FROM THE EVENT WILL GO TO SUBSCRIBE TO PRESCRIBE CAMPAIGN.
Dr. Hatem Algraffee - Periodontal Diagnosis & Treatment Planning and what should we be doing?
Aims and Objectives:
- Periodontal treatment Planning and Diagnosis. Where do we start and what should we be doing?
- To discuss how to screen, assess and document patients with periodontal disease
- To discuss detailed documentation and record keeping of patients with periodontal conditions
- To treatment plan 1-2 cases using radiographs and periodontal chart
- To discuss how to formulate a treatment plan based on findings
Hatem Algraffee qualified as a dentist from the Royal London Hospital. He then worked in an oral and maxillo-facial surgery department, followed by several positions for various health authorities and general practice.
In 2014 he completed four years full time specialist training in Periodontology at Guys London Hospital.
His previous positions were as a Specialist Clinical Teacher at Guys Hospital, as a Senior Dental Officer for Hammersmith and Fulham Trust, visiting lecturer for LonDec and as a Postgraduate Dental Examiner for the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
He has lectured at many postgraduate centre’s, at webinars and study clubs. Hatem now dedicates his time to Periodontics in private practice and lecturing for PerioAcademy
Dr. Amit Patel - Diagnosing implant diseases and Implant Maintenance
Aims and Objectives:
- To be able to differentiate most common implant systems used in dental setting in the UK
- To be able to differentiate between health and disease, diagnose and treat common implant diseases in general dental practices
- To be able to choose the common treatment modalities to treat peri-implant diseases in non-specialist settings
- To be able to explain the reasoning behind implant maintenance
Amit graduated in Dentistry from the University of Liverpool in 1997. Following a training post in Restorative Dentistry at the Liverpool Dental School he gained significant experience in Oral and Maxillofacial surgery through 3 prestigious hospital posts. He obtained his Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgeons at the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh in 2000.
Alongside his private practice, he also works as Associate Specialist in Periodontics and Honorary Clinical Lecturer at the University of Birmingham Dental School. His special interests are dental implants, regenerative and aesthetic periodontics.
Amit obtained his Masters in Clinical Periodontology and Clinical Dental Dentistry at Guy’s, Kings and St Thomas’ Dental Institute. Amit then obtained his Membership in Restorative Dentistry from the Royal College of Surgeons of England and became a registered Specialist in Periodontics. He works with several different implant systems including Biohorizons and Astra Dental Implant systems. He is also experienced in advanced surgical techniques for the treatment of Periodontal (gum) disease including sinus lift surgery, bone augmentation, the use of growth factor for bone regeneration and cosmetic root coverage surgery.
Amit is dedicated to providing specialist dentistry at the highest level and to training other denta lprofessionals and has been voted inside the top 50 most influential dentists in the UK
Dr. Mike Williams - Direct Access: Key issues and frequently asked questions
Aims and Objectives:
- Provide an Overview of the Historical Development and Current Position of Direct Access.
- Review Scope of Practice, and Safe and Effective Care and Treatment of Patients Through Direct Access
- Confirm the Basic Principles
- Confirm the Regulatory Requirements
- Identify and Clarify Areas of Uncertainty by Considering Frequently Asked Questions
- Identify Critical Issues in Safe Practice
Mike qualified at the University of Dundee in 1979 (BDS), obtained MGDS in 1993, and is a Fellow of the Faculty of General Dental Practitioners. In 2009 he gained a Master’s degree in the Legal Aspects of Medical Practice from the University of Cardiff, and he is on the GDC specialist list for oral surgery.
Mike has extensive experience in NHS, private and corporate dentistry, and experience in oral surgery in both primary and secondary care.
He has been a vocational trainer for a number of years, and is a former senior clinical teacher in oral surgery at Guys Hospital, London. He has published articles in a number of peer-reviewed dental journals. In addition to his role at MDDUS, Mike continues to work in a mixed NHS/private practice and provides oral surgery on referral in primary care.
Christine MacLeavy - Local Anaesthetic Refresher
Aims and Objectives:
- Update knowledge of local anaesthesia, in order to make informed choices for best practice
- Look at medical histories/ medications
- Discover how to manage anxious and phobic patients when delivering local anaesthesia
- Discuss needle phobia, the mechanisms that cause it and technique for its management
- Look at the reasons why local anaesthesia might fail
- Tips for delivering painless injections
Christine began her dental career as a dental nurse, and then qualified as Dental Therapist in 1979 from New Cross Hospital in London. She has worked in Community Dental Services , Eastman Dental Hospital, as well as both NHS and private practices. She completed her PGCE in post compulsory education in 2003.
Christine has worked as an NVQ Assessor and Internal Verifier on two dental nurse training programmes in Northampton and Milton Keynes
She also has delivered modules on the Foundation Degree in Dental Nursing – Barnfield College, Bedford University, in dental public health, the dental nurse practitioner and extended duties including topical anaesthetic and fluoride varnish application and impression taking). For the University of Kent, BSc in Primary Dental Care, Christine delivered the Advanced Communication Module using NLP, and Transactional Analysis
Christine enjoys lecturing and has been invited by various deaneries to speak on topics such as: – ‘Managing Child Dental Patients’ (Northern Ireland), ‘Stress Management’ (South Yorks) and ‘Dealing with Dental Anxiety, Fear and Phobia’ (East of England)
TICKETS FOR SALE NOW
Eastman Dental Hospital (London) – 2nd September 2017
- Any cancellation is subject to a £50 administration charge regardless of reasons. It is to cover our administrative costs.
- Delegates cancelling between nine to five weeks prior to the course start date are eligible for a 50% refund of the course cost.
- No refund is available if a delegate cancels their ticket in the last five weeks prior to the course start date regardless of reasons.
- Failure to attend the course will result in the full cost being incurred.
- If a delegate is unable to attend the course, a substitute attendee is welcome take their place provided the substitute is eligible to attend. An administration fee of £50 is required to make the transfer.
- In the event of cancellation of a course, we will endeavour to inform all participants a week before the course is due to take place, although please be aware that this is not always possible. All course fees paid will be reimbursed in full, or the payment can be transferred in full to another course subject to availability.
We do not accept liability for any consequential loss and are unable to reimburse for any other costs that may be associated or incurred, including transport costs, accommodation etc.