Treating and maintaining periodontal disease – complete instrumentation hands-on course
It’s is complete periodontal instrumentation day that will look at how to plan and manage periodontal treatment following non-surgical procedure. I believe doing things in steps, following a systemic method so that likelihood of making or omitting something is less. I believe keeping things simple yet effective. So I would say our course will look at simplifying the treatment process and doing the basics in most effective way.
We will start at where we left at phase 1 – “what’s stopping you from getting that good results?” and discuss how you plan a complete treatment phases and execute it in steps. ( if you have not attend phase 1, please consider attending one if you can. Even if you have not, I will make sure you don’t feel lost or know where/why/how we planning treatment).
We will plan treatment in phases (hygiene phase, non-surgical periodontal phase, supportive therapy phase and maintenance phase) and discuss how/why particular instrument might be best for that treatment. Exactly like how I practice ( no hidden secrets , no “we will cover that in next phase!”), I’ll share my knowledge , experience and techniques without holding it back ( I call it leading Deepak’s style and who have attended phase 1 are familiar with it!). Hence there will be huge discussion/demo on use of ultrasonic scalers, some/enough discussion/demo on hand instruments and on air polishing. We will look at science/evidence behind the make, use and recommendation behind some of the products we discuss.
I will try to keep things simple, straight forward yet most effective. This is why I choose to call it “complete periodontal instrumentation” rather than “advance or master class” on periodontal instrumentation hands on.
Speaker: Mr Deepak Simkhada
Date/s: See table below
Time: 08:45 – 17:00
CPD: 7 hours verifiable
For: General Dental Practitioners, Dental Therapists and Hygienists
Lunch and refreshments are included
Aims and Objectives:
- To refresh dental professionals knowledge on planning and the management of periodontal disease using non-surgical approach.
- Provide hands on experience with ultrasonic scalers (Peizoelectric scalers), hand instrumentation (Gracey) and air-polishing (supra and sub gingival for cosmetic and periodontal maintenance) in order to improve their periodontal instrumentation skills.
ANTIPICATED LEARNING OUTCOMES:
Participants should be able to:
- Differentiate between magnetostrictive and piezoelectric scalers and their working mechanisms, and learn how to use peizoelectric ultrasonic scalers in most effective and safe way.
- Appreciate the difference in design of supra and sub gingival hand instruments.
- Learn how to use site specific gracey curettes during non-surgical periodontal treatment and the effective technique for root surface debridement.
- Understand difference in air polishing powders, their physical properties and how to use them in clinical settings for both cosmetic stain removal and during periodontal maintenance.
- Formulate treatment plan to execute skills learned on clinical settings.
- Be able to implement skills learned from both lecture and demonstration (Hands on).
- To demonstrate how to sharpen hand instruments
|08:45 - 09:00||Registration|
|9:00 - 09:30||Recap on periodontal disease, management and treatment planning|
|09:30 - 11:00||Refreshments|
|11:15 - 13:15||Understanding the theory behind ultrasonic scalers, hand instruments and air polishers and its use|
|14:00 - 14:30||Lunch|
|14:30 - 16:30||Practical exercises|
|16:30 - 17:00||Questions and answers|
Equipment list – if possible, please bring with you:
- Scrubs and loupes (if preferred)
- Any portable ultrasonic scalers and hand instruments you would like to practice with during the day
- Extracted teeth – obtained ethically and properly sterilised
- Any cancellation is subject to a £50 administration charge regardless of reasons. It is to cover our administrative costs.
- Delegates cancelling between nine to five weeks prior to the course start date are eligible for a 50% refund of the course cost.
- No refund is available if a delegate cancels their ticket in the last five weeks prior to the course start date regardless of reasons.
- Failure to attend the course will result in the full cost being incurred.
- If a delegate is unable to attend the course, a substitute attendee is welcome take their place provided the substitute is eligible to attend. An administration fee of £50 is required to make the transfer.
- In the event of cancellation of a course, we will endeavour to inform all participants a week before the course is due to take place, although please be aware that this is not always possible. All course fees paid will be reimbursed in full, or the payment can be transferred in full to another course subject to availability.
We do not accept liability for any consequential loss and are unable to reimburse for any other costs that may be associated or incurred, including transport costs, accommodation etc.